Relocating your valuables and storing them can be a challenge. Hood River Secure Storage is your personal resource for finding the best possible solutions for your self storage needs. Secure Storage offers some helpful self storage tips to make the process of storing as smooth as possible.
How to Choose a Storage Unit
Picking the right storage unit for your needs is a good place to start:
- If you have the opportunity, take the time to visit the self storage facility prior to renting to ensure that it is up to your standards
- Compare storage costs and self storage unit sizes to determine what lies within your budget
- It is a good idea to make sure the storage facility in question has operation hours that match your schedule. Secure Storage is open 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., seven days a week
- Find out if the items you wish to store is prohibited, such as hazardous or perishable items before renting
- Determine if the facility has wide enough driveways for moving vehicles and is in an easily accessible location.
Storing RVs, Boats, and Toys
If you need RV storage, boat storage, car storage, or another form of toy storage, here are some tips:
- Winterize your RV, boat, or other vehicles prior to storing, especially for outdoor storage
- Thoroughly clean your vehicle inside and outside before you park them in self storage
- Check all fluids, disconnect the battery, and see your user manual for long-term storage if applicable
Storing Fragile or Sensitive Items
When packing fragile or sensitive items, it may be a good idea to use climate-controlled storage if you plan to store:
- Photographs, books, or artwork
- Electronics, appliances, or digital media
- Delicate fabrics such as leather or silk
- Musical instruments
- Pharmaceutical or medical supplies
...plus many more.
When it comes to storing your items, there are some methods you can use to maximize space. Here are some self storage tips:
- Keep in mind where you place your valuables so that you can easily find them, creating a map could come in handy
- If necessary, leave space for a walkable path between your items
- Disassemble large items, such as furniture to make more space
- Stack heavy items on the bottom and work your way up from there
- Using the same size boxes make stacking easy and efficient
- Use appropriate packing materials inside boxes
- Labeling before storing will save you a lot of hassle later on
There is a lot that goes into storing and moving your items. Hopefully, these storage tips will help you in your endeavors. If you have self storage questions or are have an inquiry, contact our managers in Hood River. We are here to help!